"Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette has joined a federal lawsuit in Washington, D.C., that, if successful, could cost Michigan consumers millions of dollars.”
Detroit Free Press (2/21/14)
THE FACTS: WHAT SCHUETTE DID
• On February 6, 2014 Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette asked a federal appeals court in Washington, D.C. to deny Michigan families federal tax credits to buy health insurance.
• Many Michigan families are set to enjoy this tax relief this year.
• If he wins, other states would continue to receive these credits, but Michigan residents would be denied this tax relief.
The bottom line? A half-million Michigan families will see a tax hike of $5,000 on average if Schuette wins his case.
THE FACTS: WHO GETS HURT
• Nearly a half-million Michigan families are eligible for tax relief, but would lose this relief if Schuette wins his case. (Center for Healthcare Transformation Research, Univ. of Michigan)
• The average estimated tax credit per family in 2014 is $4,700, and rises to over $5,000 a year thereafter. (Congressional Budget Office)
• If Schuette wins, over the next five years Michigan families will lose $8.6 billion worth of tax credits. (Prof. Nicholas Bagley, Univ. of Mich. School of Law, Detroit News 3/6/14.)
“For the life of me, I can't understand why Attorney General Bill Schuette wants to increase taxes and make it more difficult for Michigan residents to access affordable health insurance. It just defies logic. If Bill Schuette's lawsuit is successful - which I hope it is not - my constituents stand to lose. Michiganders would see their taxes raised by thousands of dollars and also face drastically higher health care costs.
The Attorney General is supposed to protect all Michigan consumers, not merely file lawsuits to score political points and pander to the Tea Party.”
Congressman Dan Kildee (MI-05), National Journal
“What do you call a state official who files a lawsuit to deny residents federal tax credits for health care? . . . [A] destructive radical.”
Iron Mountain Daily News (2/21/14)
Paid for by Mark Totten for Attorney General, P.O. Box 19463, Kalamazoo, MI 49019